COVID -19 School Closure Counseling Department Information
Dear IMS Students and Families,
The IMS counseling department is committed to supporting our students during this challenging time. While the details of the COVID-19 outbreak are changing daily and in some cases hourly, we strongly believe that social emotional support will help ease some of the anxiety/stress students and families are experiencing. With this goal in mind, our department will remain active during the COVID-19 school closure on limited basis. Our goal during this time is to help support students with what we are calling the 4 C's Of COVID-19:
- CONNECTED: provide online experiences to help students to stay linked with their school, peers, and family.
- CARED ABOUT: provide social and emotional assistance/guidance in the form on counseling lessons, consultations, and phone meetings to help our students know they are cared for.
- CONSISTENCY: support parents with online resources to maintain a home environment that supports learning and general well-being
- CALM: as student and family anxiety/stress we want to support our community with resources to monitor and maintain their own mental health
To achieve these goals we plan to do the following:
- WEEKLY SUPPORT EMAIL: Send out a weekly email resource to parents that will contain resources for social emotional learning, community support such as food assistance, and creative ideas to connect with your child.
- ACADEMIC COACHING: we will maintain weekly online office hours where we can be available to your student for an academic coaching conversation.
- CAREER LESSONS: we will post our Xello career lessons and directions to our Power School Learning Page for your student to complete on their own.
- COUNSELING SUPPORT: we will be available on a limited basis to have brief counseling support conversations during our office hours and provide community support resources for emergent counseling needs.
As we navigate through the dynamic landscape of the COVID-19 outbreak we plan to remain flexible and responsive to our students changing needs. We will use email, phone, and our Power School Learning site to maintain continuity of support. To that end our department will be available between the hours of 8AM to 12PM Monday through Friday via email and phone.
IMS Counseling Department
Jimmy Nam School Counseling Intern email@example.com
Stephanie Lundquist Youth East Side Services Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org